|University of Delaware, Newark, DE. Advisor: Dr. Gonzalo Arce, Ph.D. GPA: 3.9/4.0|
|Universidad Javeriana, Colombia. Advisor: Dr. Mario Gongora, Ph.D. GPA: 4.1/5.0|
|Thesis Topic:||Diagnostics System for Nortel DMS-100i Digital Subscriber Line Cards.|
|Awards:||Research grant from Nortel Networks for development of a testing device.|
Nomination for best thesis award.
- Analysis and classification of VoIP packet streams (SIP and RTP) oriented towards intrusion detection applications.
- Design of an Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) architecture aimed at reduced size and power consumption.
- Successful development and simulation of a novel algorithm to counteract buffer-bloat and mitigate congestion in TCP networks.
- Spectral analysis and shaping of congestion marks in TCP/IP networks for queue stabilization in routers.
- Formulation of a statistical model of router queues for detection of congestion in TCP/IP networks.
- Analysis of the impact of Active Queue Management (AQM) on the statistical distribution of routers' buffers.
- Programming C++, TCL, Matlab and shell scripts for efficient and distributed simulation of networked systems
- Design and development of a micro-controlled device for testing Nortel DMS-100i digital subscriber lines.
- Robust programming of a Motorola micro-controller to interface the circuitry, and a Windows-based GUI to retrieve and display the results.
- Teaching assistance in math, calculus, electronic devices and analog circuit design.
- Design and development of the electrical engineering department web site.
- Development and implementation of web-based tools for monitoring and visualization of critical cooling systems.
- Characterization of cellular wireless routers for real-time GPS tracking of the university buses.
- Management and tuning the results of the University of Delaware Google Search Appliance.
- Statistical analysis of Netflow data to determine high utilization ports and hosts.
- Deployment and maintenance of the department wireless network. In particular, implementation of a centralized RADIUS server for 802.11x EAP/TTLS secure authentication, compatible with the Unix-based account system.
- Troubleshoot, support and installation of department owned equipment.
- Configuration of customer services on different multiplexer systems (TDM, Frame Relay, ATM, SDH).
- Configuration of devices for network access, including including satellite, radio, copper and fiber equipment.
- Optimization of customer data paths for improved performance and reduced impact during network outages.
- Efficient analysis and solution of backbone network failures to ensure network availability.
- Development and execution of performance routines on the backbone network to improve the network reliability.
- Interaction with contractors and customers for troubleshooting, maintenance and configuration of services.
- Installation and configuration of Silicon Graphics (SGI) equipment.
- Troubleshooting and maintenance of servers, workstations and other customer equipment.
- Programming translation tables of DMS-100i telephone exchange switches.
- Supporting Telecom technical team in the joint venture between Telecom and Nortel.
| Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE).
- IEEE Transactions on Networking - Reviewer.
- Linux User Group (LUG) - University of Delaware Chapter.
L1, L2, L3 and L4 networking protocols and devices (traffic analyzers, sniffers, BER testing, multiplexers, modems, switches, routers). Particular focus on transport layer protocols.
Experience coding in Matlab, C/C++, PHP, OS Scripting, TCL.
Digital circuit design, Micro-controlled devices, FPGA.
Methods of Operation and Maintenance - Nortel DMS-100 Switches (by Nortel), Unix Systems Installation and Administration (by Procalculo S.A.), Development of Internet Applications (by Universidad Javeriana)
| || Fluent in English and Spanish. |
- I.D. Barrera, S. Bohacek, G.R. Arce, Statistical detection of congestion in routers, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 58 (3) 2010 957-968. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2034917
- I.D. Barrera, G.R. Arce, S. Bohacek, Statistical approach for congestion control in gateway routers, Elsevier Computer Networks, 55 (3) 2011 572-582. doi:10.1016/j.comnet.2010.09.009